Saturday, December 4, 2010

Goodbye Old. Hello New!

Yesterday was an exciting day at WHNT-19!  We made our transition from our main news set to our temporary set while construction begins to re-vamp our old set.  I'm not quite sure how all the engineers, and others who helped move all the, cameras, set, teleprompters, weather equipment etc. because I know that was a BIG job!                            
Here is a look at the old set :



Here is a look at the temporary set that we are currently using:


I mentioned in my earlier post that after my internship I was hired to work in production, until the end of December, because I resume classes back in January.  While I was interning I helped answer the phones, go out with reporters, help write a few stories for some shows, and help with some stuff for our website, along with running teleprompter (for those who aren't familiar with what the teleprompter is that is the screen that is the size of a flat screen monitor that shows the anchors what to say, during the news cast.  After I was officially hired to work for them, they informed me I would be working on the "chyron", and graphics, which I mentioned in my previous post.  Thursday night I got to work a different job: Floor director.  It was so exciting!  We just recently got new cameras that are robotic meaning you don't have to have someone move them, and focus them, the camera operator can sit in the production booth, and it looks like a joy-stick that he uses to move them.  It looks quite strange seeing them move on their own with no one touching them!  In our temporary set however, we did not move the robotic cameras in there, we used some older manual cameras, so I learned yesterday how to focus, and get the right shot, along with making sure that the anchors know which camera to look at, at the right time, and when it comes time for weather letting our weatherman, Dan Satterfield know how much time he has in weather.  Did I mention that I feel real "official", because I get to wear a head-set, and can communicate to the director ha! I am really going to be sad when I finish, and have to begin back classes :(

This is the temporary weather studio


Our News Director: Denise Vickers took these photos of the evening production crew learning the new set up for the cameras

Denise also took this photo as we were in our 5:00 news show as Dan was doing weather (not my best angle lol)

Here I am making sure the shot is focused and where it needs to be for "Dan the Man"

If your in our viewing area tune in, and catch our newscasts at 5:00,6:00,9:00, and 10:00!  You can also check out the progression of our new set as it goes on by visiting: http://www.justin.tv/whnt#r=-rid-&s=em 

No comments:

Post a Comment