Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Internship Day 3

On Friday I began my third day at my internship.  I am such a dork,  I had trouble going to sleep the night before because I was so excited about what I was going to do the next day!  On Friday I got to go out with Dion, and cover two stories.  The first story we covered was at Alabama A&M.  The students protested outside of the Presidents office because they were upset about not receiving their scholarship money, and Pell Grants.  It was quite a scene...there was around  200 students gathered holding signs, and chanting: "We want the President!", and "We want our money now!" The President however never emerged from his office to talk with students.  After that we headed to the Space and Rocket Center to cover a story about a woman who entered a contest on Facebook through BBVA Bank.  It was a contest called "What are you saving your money for?" She said that she was saving her money to help buy a plane ticket to help bring her husband home from basic training in Texas.  He had been there for a little over a year, and they had four daughters that really wanted to see their dad.  They surprised their four little girls by him coming up behind them onstage when they were presented with the check.  It was a sweet moment to witness.  When we returned back later that day, Claire who handles all of WHNT's web stuff asked me to write the story about the  A&M protesting since I had went with Dion to cover it.  I wrote it, and proudly have a story on WHNT's website written by me :)  It is small steps, but you have to start somewhere! 







No comments:

Post a Comment