Thursday, August 6, 2009

One year ago

Yesterday was such a bittersweet day. One year ago yesterday my Pawpaw Greer lost his battle to cancer. He went to the doctor in March of 2008 and was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was a total shock to him my grandmother and family. He was 80 years old, and I know when you hear someone is 80 years old you automatically think well that was pretty old anyway but if you knew or had been around my pawpaw you would have seen very quickly that he had the mind and body of a 65 year old. My pawpaw found out in March and passed away in August. He took chemo and radiation but the cancer had already spread too much. My sweet grandmother was so strong for him up until he passed. I knew yesterday would be difficult for her so my cousin Matt and I spent the night with her to help keep her company and keep it off of her mind.
Yesterday as I remembered those last few months from last summer I thought about how tough it was for me to go visit him because it killed me having to see him in that condition skinny, his hair gone from the treatments and on oxygen because I was used to seeing him out playing football with the grand kids, bush hogging,working in the garden or planning a trip for him and my grandmother to somewhere in the motor home.It also reminded me how happy I am that my pawpaw will never ever have to suffer anymore! After he was diagnosed with lung cancer he gave his life over to the lord! Thankfully me and my family can have peace that he is in heaven watching over us!


Here is pawpaw Christmas 2007. This was just 3 months before he found out and sadly his last Christmas to spend with us. This picture shows off his personality perfectly! Always joking around and cutting up! Someone had given him a red Speedo as a joke and he fooled us all by putting it on over his pants and dancing around! lol I cannot wait until I see him and my other pawpaw in heaven one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment